The next Club Meeting & Funfly#3 will be held on October 15th @ Lenn Airpark.
- CMB's Pattern Contest will be held on August 26-28th, 2016 at Lenn Air Park. CD will be JR Varela & Nic Burhans.
- Check out Ernie Padgette's For Sale items!
- Be sure to read the new CMB Members Handbook! This document has been updated to include new safety rules: see section #29. As always, this document is also available under Membership Info.
- John Hughes has soloed! After working with instructors Terry Terrenoire and Gordon Collyer last year and this spring, John Hughes
advanced from being cleared for park flyers to successful solo flights on his LT40 electric trainer. John worked hard and stuck with
it even after a brief encounter with one of the famous perimeter pylons. Congratulations John!
- Check out Charlie Koustenis' latest project! Charlie has completed and flown his P47 Razioback. Check out the conversion from a bubble canopy model to a Razorback. These photos can also be found under Photo Album.
- Thomas Gallagher has completed training with his CMB instructor (Gordon Collyer) that began in April on a Telemaster trainer.
He prepared for his solo flight on his new Sensei by completing several unassisted checkflights using a buddy box before being handed
his transmitter and told he was "on his own" !!
- CMB's 14 May Buddy Box Day for the Culpeper School System -- Summary ---
- - Just a short note to let you all know that the Buddy Box Day hard work by fellow members Les Broaddus, Gordon Collyer, Dan Jones, Terry Terrenoire, Kwang Ko, Garry Foveaux, Bill Pratt, Ernie Padgette, and Dave Rothbart today was highly successful.
- - The Club buddy boxed 22 of the original 36 Culpeper School System students that signed up for today's event.
- - However, 3 siblings, 8 moms and dads, 3 friends, and 2 walk-ins (a total of 16) were also buddy boxed today.
- - That means that we expected to do 36, but actually completed 38 buddy box events along with Kwang Ko's flight demonstrations dispersed throughout the day.
- - I will be getting the final report out to you all shortly.
- The Culpeper Model Barnstormers had a good 7 May DC Area "Drone Day".
- In spite of all the rain over the last two weeks which put 2/3 of our runway under various depths of water at the start of the day:
- - The event started one hour late due to the Culpeper Parks & Rec's annual Wicked Bottom 5K and 1/2 mile run/walk races in the County's Lenn Park.
- - Had two pre-event inquiries as a result of the AMA's www.dcdroneday.com event website.
- - Sixteen people showed up during the day.
- - Two quad copter pilots brought their equipment to try out our site. One was an experienced FPV and acrobatic quad pilot who put on a good show.
- - We buddy boxed young and old event visitors.
- - The day's demonstrations included pattern acrobatics, mini and small quad copters, small and large foams, sailplanes, small float planes off the wet end lakes, and an Escapade off the very wet grass.
- - Club and AMA Brochures and membership applications were passed out to all.
- - We anticipate gaining three new club members.
- - Had a visit from AMA D-4 VP, Jay Marsh, which resulted in interesting discussions (flying, dogs, and computers included) with the visitors and club members present.
- - Despite the gloom and doom weather reporting, the Culpeper Model Barnstormers had an enjoyable, mostly sunny day, with all our visitors from the northern Virginia area.
- Saturday, 19 March, was the Culpeper Model Barnstormers' "Its Too Wet; Bring Your Boots and Drones/Multi-Copters Open House Day"
at Lenn Model Airpark.
- - Starting last Thursday, the weather people started forecasting gloom, doom, rain, and snow.
- But, we proceeded forward and the event was a minor success with seventeen participants throughout the event's time frame.
- - The participants included seven club members, three members from DC-SFRA clubs, three walk-ins, two referrals from Kwang's hobby shop, and two county representatives.
- - The day started out at 10:00 am overcast, windy, and 40 degrees.
- ---- At 11:30 am we were down to 35 degrees when Gary Foveaux started the grill for burgers.
- ---- At the end of lunch the light rain started in small waves between flying intervals.
- ---- By 2:30 pm we were seeing sleet and very small hail; flyers were dispersing.
- ---- At the 4:00 pm event's end I was the only one left in the middle of a snow storm.
- - Prior to the event, we reminded all of the FAA registration requirements.
- - All the large and small multi-copters flown had FAA and AMA numbers [even my teeny Prontos].
- - For those new to multi-copters, there were intro/familiarization sessions:
- - For the multi-copter old hands, everyone got to try out different/updated models.
- - All in all, we had a good time.
- - And yes, the field was wet and those who did not bring boots regretted it.
- Check out Dave Durica's updated For Sale items!
- Check out Fred Gay's updated Moving Sale For Sale items!
- Be sure to read the new CMB Club Pilots Briefing! This document is also available under Membership Info.
- Please read carefully the new link concerning the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems Registration requirements. The link contains pertinent info pertaining to the registration process. This link can also be found, at the left, under 'Membership Info'.
- The Annual Club Meeting was held December 12th, at Lenn Park Pavillion. Nic Burhans started the meeting at 12:00 PM. The new board members for 2016 were voted upon. We then went down to the soggy AirPark and had lunch and flew our planes.
- The Club Meeting & Fly #3 was held November 7th, at Lenn Airpark. Nic Burhans started the meeting at 1:00 PM. The Fun Fly was cancelled due to rain.
- Check out the "Learning to Fly at CMB" item under "Membership Info" at the right!
- Be sure to check out the 'Upcoming Events' schedule!
- Club Members: If you are interested in the mobile version of our website, then check out the Mobile Website link at the left for details on your options (including a CMB Club app).
- See you at the field...