Annual Club Meeting & Fun Fly #4 will be held on Sunday, December 11th @ Lenn Park Pavillion.
- The 2022 FARM Fall Charity Float Fly was held on Saturday, 3 September, at Lake Ritchie in Bealeton, Virginia! What a beautiful day! Below, are 2 pictures from the float fly (photos courtesy of Dave Rothbart):
- Michael Beckett has soloed! Michael began his training In late May. His work schedule dictated training during the evenings, so with the Lenn Model Airpark's orientation he trained the hard way, looking into the sun with the attendant difficulties in discerning orientation that this lighting provides. Working around the summer evening weather and the July rains, Michael logged a lot of simulator time at home waiting for dry ground. This sim-time paid off especially well during two weeks of wind and rain down time at the end of July. Coming back to training, Michael soloed after just a couple of "warm-up" flights on the buddy-box. Get to know Michael and ask him about his full-scale aviation career, and note his tee-shirt's strategic plan.
- Xander has soloed! After a few sessions throughout the winter Xander attacked his training at the beginning of June and rapidly progressed to complete unassisted buddy box flights. After being repeatedly forced to fly those boring "fly down the center of the runway" exercises and several take-offs where the instructor accidentally(really - accidental) left the transmitter in high rates, it was clear he was good to go. His solo flight was uneventful and his landings have become often close to exceptional. He has been one of the few students who requested and learned stall turns and stall/spins before he competed his training. Xander is apparently cool under pressure….his response after soloing was a smile. We are told this is Xander being excited. Xander is planning on moving to an Aero Scout for his first plane. Say hello to Xander when you see him at the field and encourage him on!
- If you weren't at the FARM Club Charity Float Fly event on Saturday, June 25th, you missed a great day of float flying! Regardless of whether you were there or not, Ralph G.has provided us with a stroll thru the event for your viewing pleasure! Thanks, Ralph!
- Don't forget the upcoming FARM Charity Float Flyfor June 25, 2022!
- Jerry Namken has soloed. Flying as weather permitted throughout the fall, winter, a wet spring, and "through" several of his own "Frankenstien" trainer airplanes, Jerry recently "graduated" to a specially modified SIG Seniorita (see also, there were some Seniorita parts that Jerry had left). With some down-thrust added, a larger motor, and stiffer landing gear, this plane did actually fly like a trainer SHOULD! Jerry soloed Jun 4th after the recent Civil Air Patrol Cadet morning training. Shown In the photo below, is Jerry and his band of merry critics, helpers, and sometimes supporters. From the left: Jay Zompanti, Jerry, Gordon Collyer, and Ernie Padgette. Even through his primary instructor, Gordon Collyer, thought there could still be some bad habits left over in his training transmitter, Jerry has elected to forgo the suggested ceremonial training transmitter burning.
- The new CMB 2022 Calendar is now available.
- The new CMB board for 2022 is available on the Contacts page.
- The CMB club Application and Renewal forms for 2022 are now avvailable.
- For immediate release, notice to Piedmont area UAS pilots.
Reference : 38 deg., 27 min., 33 sec. north latitude; 77 deg., 53 min. 33 sec., west longitude as of 16 hours, 7 minutes Zulu, April 18th 2021.
Please note as a model of determination and persistence that at the place sited and the time indicated, John Gilbert having flown numerous unassisted buddy box flights, did successfully complete, pass and otherwise accomplish his solo check flight on the pictured SIG Kadet. His instructor for this check flight notes his maneuvers and two take-offs and landings were uneventful. Well done, John! Q.E.D.
P.S. there were several witnesses (Photo courtesy of Gordon Collyer).
- Club member Gordon Collyer has shared with us a Write Up on the Electric Conversion of the Muddiman "Flying Machine". Gordon walks us through the steps necessary to do an electric conversion, build, and test fly the resulting machine. This is an excellent read and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
- Jay Zompanti, recently a new member, has completed his solo flight! Jay took some advice from a friend who is a long time modeler in Massachusetts and escaped "COVID lockup" by checking out radio control flying with the Culpeper Model Barnstormers in the fresh air and open spaces of the Lenn Model Airpark. This year’s unexpected fall rainy season and the resulting mud, frustrated Jay's training and caused scheduling delays that he filled with RealFlight simulator time. With the pre-thanksgiving "drought", access to the full runway allowed Jay to complete his landing work and solo flight. He will be moving on now to his first plane, a Horizon AeroScout. Please introduce yourself to Jay and ask about his Massachusetts friend's interesting model aviation background!
- Delbert Mast is the newest CMB club member and successful solo pilot. After some self taught flying and the associated "Gorilla Glue", Delbert found CMB and began pre-COVID-19 buddy boxing in February. After the field dried out from the spring rains and the virus counts subsided, Delbert resumed buddy boxing on Gordon Collyer’s SIG LT-40. After a half dozen or so sessions on the buddy box and several unassisted LT-40 flights, Delbert recently completed a couple of successful solo flights on his own (well repaired) Horizon Apprentice. Well done Delbert! Be sure and introduce yourself to Delbert and say hello when you see him at the field!
- Take a look at John Hunton's latest project! John is building a Vought V-173 'Flying Pancake'.
- The CMB Annual Club Meeting was held on Dec 15th at Lenn Park Pavillion (see photo below) About 10 members were in attendance. After the meeting, Nic braved a soggy field and got a flight in before calling it a day.
- As a pre-curser to the Oct 12th Culpeper AirFest, Nic & Dave hosted a STEM
(Science, Technology, Enginnering, and Math) workshop on Wed, Oct 9th.
(photo courtesy of Kirby Nelson)
- Gordon Collyer and his student were buddy boxing and while they were at it they decided to lower the trees at the north end of the runway a bit. It's a "little" easier to clear the trees now! Thanks, Gordon !!
- Gordon Collyer recently noticed a strange stress crack on his Hog Bipe. He has graciously shared his insight and repair of the problem. It's an interesting read. You can find the ariticle in the Articles & Reviews section at the left, or by clicking Hog Bipe Repair.
- FARM Club member Joseph Szczur participated in the 2019 F3A RC Aerobatics World Championships in Italy. Don Szczur has posted an Update from Italy. Thanks, Don!
- The CMB Buddy Box Day was held on Saturday, May 4, 2019 @ Lenn Airpark.
If you weren't there, you missed a really good time. You can peruse pictures of the event (photographed by club member John Barry) at the following link. This is also available thru the Photo Album link:
Buddy Box Day 2019 (courtesy of John Barry).
- See you at the field...