The Joint FARM/CMB Christmas Party will be held on December 7th at the Northside 29 Restaurant located on US-29 in New Baltimore, VA at 6:30pm.
- The CMB 2020 Application Form and the CMB 2020 Renewal Form are now available.
- As a pre-curser to the Oct 12th Culpeper AirFest, Nic & Dave hosted a STEM
(Science, Technology, Enginnering, and Math) workshop on Wed, Oct 9th.
(photo courtesy of Kirby Nelson)
- Gordon Collyer and his student were buddy boxing and while they were at it they decided to lower the trees at the north end of the runway a bit. It's a "little" easier to clear the trees now! Thanks, Gordon !!
- Gordon Collyer recently noticed a strange stress crack on his Hog Bipe. He has graciously shared his insight and repair of the problem. It's an interesting read. You can find the ariticle in the Articles & Reviews section at the left, or by clicking here.
- FARM Club member Joseph Szczur participated in the 2019 F3A RC Aerobatics World Championships in Italy. Don Szczur has posted an Update from Italy. Thanks, Don!
- Check out Scott Huff's new FOR SALE item!
- The CMB Buddy Box Day was held on Saturday, May 4, 2019 @ Lenn Airpark.
If you weren't there, you missed a really good time. You can peruse pictures of the event (photographed by club member John Barry) at the following link. This is also available thru the Photo Album link:
Buddy Box Day 2019 (courtesy of John Barry).
- The new 2019 Club Calendar is now available.
- The 2019 Application and the 2019 Renewal forms are now available!
- Field status 19 Oct 2018: Nic reports, "Despite the 1/8 inch of frost and some ice, the Club's new 18 x 36 shelter at Lenn Model Airpark was completed this morning. It incorporates heavy snow supports and high winds tie downs (4 augers on each side - from what it took to get them in this morning, they are not coming out) in addition to the normal 4 foot pins. If we have another good day of drying like yesterday, we should be able to mow the runway carefully for flying this weekend."
- Due to the rain/flooding in the Culpeper area, Lenn Airpark is a little the worse for wear. Nic provided this picture of the runway on Sep 28th.
Hopefully, the water will recede rapidly.
- Gordon Collyer has been hard at work on his latest project. Here's what he has to say about the model:
"This is my Lotsa Watts (AMA Plan 1005, August 2007) one of Dick Sarpolus's designs. My build was from a Lazer
Works short kit. For my version I semi-enclosed the motors, lowered the turtle deck an inch where it meets the
rudder and extended the nose an inch to accommodate an installation of eFlight retracts. I am using Rimfire
32 motors with two, 4 cell 4000 mah batteries, 75 amp Castle Edge ESCs and three bladed counter rotating 11x7"
propellers. The model weighs about 170 ounces ready to take-off and based on first flights should be capable of
11 minute flights. Although the 11x7" propellers provide good vertical heights for stall turns, I plan on trying
11x8" or 12x8" two blade propellers to trade some flight time for more aggressive flying. The plane is very
responsive to control inputs, stalls cleanly straight ahead and at 19.3 oz/ft^2 wing loading comes off the runway
easily and floats nicely for gentle landings."
- After training a few weeks late last year, Rad spent the some winter months flying a simulator. Returning in mid-July
Rad has been progressing rapidly, flying his instructor's (Gordon Collyer) SIG LT-40. After completing nearly a dozen
unassisted "buddy-box" flights over several weeks of intermittent field flooding, Rad successfully completed his solo check
flight on one of the hottest days this August with only the "minor surprise" of a thermal cutoff from the LT-40's electric
motor controller. Well done Rad!
- Due to weather events in the Culpeper area last Sunday (August 12th), the CMB Fall Classic Pattern contest
was held at the FARM field on Aug 25 -26. Below is a picture of some of the action:
- Nic Burhans has coordinated with the owner's use of the FARM field and received the FARM Club Board's approval to move the Culpeper pattern contest the ten (10) miles from the Barnstormers' Culpeper, VA field to the FARM field located in Bealeton, VA. The FARM field will be available for 25 and 26 August with a setup/practice day on Friday, 24 August.
- As you all know, we had big thunder storms with a lot of wind [twister?] in the Culpeper area last Sunday (August 12th). Nic Burhans has written a comprehensive report on the cleanup activity for the field. The following link provides the detail with pictures: Lenn Air Park Damage Report.
- Fun Fly #2 was held on Sunday July 15th @ Lenn Airpark.
For more pictures, see links below:
FunFly #2 Event Pictures - Part-1 and
FunFly #2 Event Pictures - Part-2 (courtesy of John Barry).
- The Shenandoah Pattern Classic will be held on Jun 9-11 in Harrisonburg, VA. Contact JR Varela for more details. CANCELED!
- Bill Towne & John Gilbert built this Ben Buckle old-timer kit this winter. The Majestic Major
was converted to electric power and resulted in a very majestic flying machine which is fabric covered and trimmed in "period"
colors. Bill and Dan Jones maidened the plane on Saturday, May 26 at Lenn Airpark. (courtesy of Gordon Collyer)
- Club Members: If you are interested in the mobile version of our website, then check out the Mobile Website link at the left for details on your options (including a CMB Club app).
- Be sure to check out the Area Events and Fun Fly schedules!
- See you at the field...